1. Development Status
In 2016, the city's revenue from the software and information service industry was RMB 473.7 billion, with a year-on-year growth of more than 15%. In general, the revenue keeps rising steadily. The revenue from the software business was RMB 348.2 billion, with a year-on-year growth of 12.5%.
After many years' development, the basic software and industrial design software industry has formed a certain scale. A number of software enterprises with great strengths have emerged, and the application scope and product categories are continue to expand, showing good development momentum. In 2016, the city's revenue from basic software and industrial design software was RMB 31.7 billion, with a year-on-year growth of 15.3%.
2. Development Advantages
(1) Supportive policies. To seize implementation opportunities of national strategies such as Internet Plus, Made in China 2025, Big Data, One Belt, One Road, and integrated development of the manufacturing industry and the Internet, the CPC Nanjing Municipal Committee and Nanjing Municipal People's Government issued the Implementation Plan of Nanjing Municipal People's Government on Building an International Software City. The plan is based on new requirements of the PRC's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology concerning the improvement and development of China's renowned software city.
(2) Rapid construction of renowned software and information industrial parks Currently, Nanjing's software industry development pattern with "one valley and two parks" as the core has basically taken shape. The Economic and Information Technology Commission of Jiangsu Province has listed leading industries of China (Nanjing) Software Valley, Nanjing Software Park, Jiangsu Software Park, Xuzhuang Software Park, and New Town Sci-Tech Park as the first group of characteristic industries of software parks whose development is encouraged. Their characteristics are positioned as mobile Internet, BeiDou-based information technology services, cloud computing, e-commerce services, and game and animation industries, respectively.
(3) Continuous optimization of the industrial structure Basic software: Nanjing has competitive strengths in software and hardware R&D of embedded operating systems and industrial real-time databases. Industrial software: Nanjing has great market competitiveness in application software in industries such as power, telecommunications, enterprise management, and transportation. Leading local enterprises such as the NARI Group Corporation, Guodian Nanjing Automation Co., Ltd., Wiscom, and Sciyon have driven the extension and upgrade of the smart grid software industry chain, thus having absolute strengths in the domestic electricity market.
(4) Continuous quality improvement of software enterprises and constant emergence of high-quality and well-known products Enterprises including the NARI Group Corporation, CEC Panda, Jiangsu Joyque Information Industry Group, Jiangsu Communication Services Co., Ltd., Guodian Nanjing Automation Co., Ltd., Wiscom, Linkage Technology Co., Ltd., and HopeRun Technology Corporation are shortlisted for the Top 100 Chinese enterprises in terms of software business revenue, accounting for 80% of the total number of shortlisted enterprises in Jiangsu Province.
3. Development Goals and Priorities
(1) Development Goals
By 2020, form a development pattern with the software and information service industry leading in scale, a scientific investment vehicle layout, cutting-edge technologies, significant competitiveness of enterprises, a reasonable talent structure, and a high level of internationalization. Moreover, further enhance the service and support for the economic and social development of Nanjing and build Nanjing into an international renowned software city.
(2) Development Priorities
a. Industrial scale: The city's revenue from the software and information service industry is expected to reach RMB 800 billion by 2020, of which the software business revenue will be RMB 550 billion, ranking top among Chinese cities.
b. Industrial cluster: Two to three internationally known software parks will be built. By 2020, the construction of the software industry cluster zones including China (Nanjing) Software Valley, Nanjing Software Park, and Jiangsu Software Park ("one valley and two parks") will be fully completed. The contribution that the "one valley and two parks" make to the citywide software and information service industry will exceed 80%.
c. Technological level: A number of world-renowned software product and service brands will be developed. By 2020, breakthroughs will be made in technological fields such as basic and industrial software, cloud computing and big data, artificial intelligence (AI), integrated circuit design, and virtual, augmented, and mixed reality. A number of key technologies will be mastered to form internationally and domestically leading innovation.
d. Enterprise cultivation: 30 to 50 world-renowned software and information service enterprises will be introduced and cultivated. By 2020, there will be more than 10 enterprises with revenue of more than RMB 10 billion in Nanjing's software and information service industry, and there will be more than 5000 software-related enterprises in Nanjing. Key enterprises include Nanjing Byosoft Co., Ltd., China Realtime Database Co., Ltd., and Jiangsu Nandasoft Technology Co., Ltd. Industrial software enterprises include Jiangsu Golden Thinking Software Co., Ltd., Nanjing Hony Electric Automation Co., Ltd., Nanjing Kangni Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. Nanjing Changfeng Aerospace Electronic Technology Co., Ltd., NARI Group Corporation, Jiangsu Wiscom Technology Co., Ltd., Nanjing Sciyon Automation Group Co., Ltd., Asiainfo Technologies (China) Inc., Nanjing Sample Technology Co., Ltd., Nanjing Skytech Co., Ltd., Focus Technology Co., Ltd., Nanjing LES Information Technology Co., Ltd., Nanjing Nriet Industrial Co., Ltd., Nanjing Duolun Technology Co., Ltd., and Nanjing SkyData InfoTech Ltd.
e. Talent construction: A number of international software industry leaders will be gathered. By 2020, the citywide software industry will gather 10 top technology experts, cultivate 20 innovative entrepreneurs, introduce 200 high-level entrepreneurial leaders, and support 2000 young college students in entrepreneurship. There will be one million software-related employees.
f. Internationalization level: The international fame and competitiveness of Nanjing's software industry will be comprehensively improved. By 2020, two to three overseas offices will be set up for Nanjing's key software parks. There will be more than 100 software enterprises engaged in transnational operation and more than 20 software enterprises setting up R&D centers overseas. China (Nanjing) International Software Product & Information Services Trade Fair will be one of China's most influential and professional international exhibitions.
4. Supportive Policies
a. Strengthen financial support. During the 13th Five-Year Plan period, continue to strengthen financial support and use the municipal funds dedicated for development of the software industry mainly to support the software enterprises' construction, enterprise cultivation, talent agglomeration, internationalization development, and publicity and promotion. Innovate financial support methods such as equity investment funding, bank loans with interest discounts, subsidies for purchasing technical equipment, and risk compensations to support the development of the software industry.
b. Intensify the industrial agglomeration. Further focus on the construction and development of "one valley and two parks", continuously improve the management and operation systems of "one valley and two parks", and grant appropriate administrative rights to management organizations of "one valley and two parks" by means of authorization or entrustment. Favor "one valley and two parks" in terms of establishing an independent treasury, closed operation of land and fiscal revenue, returning land-transfer fees and stipulated fees for construction, and providing subsidies for the locally retained portion of the tax increase.
c. Strengthen coordination and promotion. Encourage the staggered development of provincial software parks and Internet industrial parks to form relative advantages. Depending on the actual situation of projects, enterprises, and talent, provide appropriate targeted support for provincial software parks and Internet industrial parks such as the Xuzhuang Software Park, New Town Sci-Tech Park, Jiangdong Software City, and Baixia High-Tech Industrial Park by referring to relevant policies provided for "one valley and two parks."
d. Strengthen internationalization development. Encourage key parks and enterprises to invest overseas and provide Nanjing's key software parks with start-up fund support for setting up overseas offices. Provide a maximum subsidy of RMB 3 million for Nanjing's key enterprises that carry out overseas mergers and acquisitions and achieve normal operation such as obtaining cutting-edge technologies, equipment, brands, and markets. Moreover, provide a maximum subsidy of RMB one million for Nanjing's enterprises that set up R&D centers and branches overseas and conduct normal operation overseas. Provide a maximum subsidy of RMB 0.5 million for software enterprises or industrial alliances that organize international professional forums, training, exhibitions, and other events.
e. Strengthen the entrepreneurship and innovation of enterprises. Support large enterprises to establish Internet-based platforms for entrepreneurship and innovation to achieve further integrated development of the manufacturing industry and Internet. Provide key enterprises with municipal special fund support for the construction and operation of platforms for entrepreneurship and innovation.
f. Intensify assessments and evaluations. Stick to the differential assessment and evaluation mechanism. For key parks, assess only indicators related to the software industry. For other parks and development zones, specify the proportion of software industry-related indicators to economic indicators. Award parks and zones (development zones) for good accomplishments, rapid development of the software industry, and great contributions.
5. Primary Vehicles
China (Nanjing) Software Valley
Nanjing Software Park
Jiangsu Software Park
Xuzhuang Software Park
Jiangdong Software City
New Town Sci-Tech Park
Baixia High-Tech Industrial Park