1. Development Status
By the end of 2016, the yield of Nanjing's bio-medicine industry was RMB 49.5 billion, with a year-on-year growth of 10%. The industry has seen steady, continuous growth. In Nanjing, there are 65 medicine manufacturing enterprises, 217 medical appliance manufacturing enterprises, 58 above-scale medicine and medical appliance industrial enterprises, more than 120 bio-medicine R&D enterprises, 100 medicine wholesale enterprises, and more than 1600 medicine retail enterprises.
2. Development Advantages
(1) Numerous medical colleges and universities and extensive talent resources Nanjing ranks No.3 in China in terms of comprehensive strength in science and education in life sciences, behind Beijing and Shanghai. Nanjing boasts more than 20 colleges and universities that offer life science-related courses, such as Nanjing University, Southeast University, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, Nanjing Tech University, Nanjing Forest University, and Nanjing Agricultural University, with more than 400 professors. Every year, more than 20,000 students graduate with Ph.D., master’s, and bachelor’s degrees in life sciences in Nanjing. Now, Nanjing has more than 40,000 life sciences professionals, 12 life sciences academicians, and more than 100 professional leaders.
(2) Numerous well-known hospitals and scientific research institutes Nanjing has many well-known hospitals, of which 23 are Grade 3, Class A hospitals such as Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital, Jiangsu Province Hospital, Nanjing General Hospital, and Jiangsu Province Hospital of TCM. They provide good services and cooperation opportunities for clinical and pharmacological research. There are 15 national key labs and 58 provincial-ministerial platforms. About 100 scientific research institutes involve bio-medicine research. Professional research institutes include Jiangsu Provincial Institute of Materia Medica, Institute of Dermatology, and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences. Moreover, there are numerous labs, such as the State Key Laboratory of Long-acting and Targeting Drug Delivery System, Key Laboratory for Drug Metabolism & Pharmacokinetics under the Ministry of Science and Technology), and Jiangsu Engineering Research Center for Liposomal Drugs.
(3) Orderly development of the industrial scale and rapid growth of dominant enterprises Nanjing has gathered a number of biological and medical high-tech enterprises with independent intellectual property rights. These enterprises have formed a certain scale and high-end industrial cluster that covers many categories such as chemical pharmacology, biopharmacology, diagnostic reagents, medical appliances, traditional Chinese medicine (including health food), and R&D services outsourcing. Local growth-type enterprises such as Simcere, Nanjing Luye Sike Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Jiangsu Carefree Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., PharmaBlock, Nanjing GenScript Biotechnology Co., Ltd., and Nanjing King-friend Biochemical Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. have agglomerated in Nanjing. Many multinational enterprises such as Merck, Amphastar, Otsuka Pharmaceutical, and Herbalife have also settled in Nanjing.
(4) Completely functional incubators and public R&D services platforms Such incubators and platforms include Nanjing Clinical Biobank, BioSciKin, Nanjing Biopharmaceutical Innovation Platform (BIP), Jiangsu Dingye Baitai Bio-medicine Technology Incubation Park, Nanjing Biomedical Research Institute, Technical Center for Life Sciences of Nanjing Jiangning Biotechnology Park, Drug Screening Center (under the Ministry of Science and Technology) of Jiangsu Life Science & Technology Innovation Park, and Jiangsu Modern Medicinal Biotechnology Center
3. Development Goals and Priorities
(1) Development Goals
The bio-medicine industry will focus on developing new antitumor targeted drugs, antitumor natural products and derivatives, antitumor gene drugs, and drugs for treating cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases such as statins and antihyperlipidemic drugs. The medical appliances industry will accelerate the R&D and innovation of high-end medical equipment and supplementary reagents. By 2020, achieve revenue of more than RMB 100 billion. Form an industrial cluster with a reasonable industrial layout, talent agglomeration, and core competitive edges, and build Nanjing into an international life science and technology R&D and industrial base and become China's renowned health care and life science and technology city.
(2) Development Priorities
Intensify breakthroughs in common key technologies such as the biotransformation of phosphoryl compounds, antibody humanization, eukaryotic cell expression, and drug delivery. Accelerate industrialization of major innovative drugs such as rHAP, TRAIL variants, and YCP marine fugal polysaccharide. Develop and manufacture a number of new substitutes for chemical drugs for treating major diseases such as tumors, autoimmune diseases, and cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases.
b) New chemical drugs
Intensify breakthroughs in key technologies such as design and screening of small molecule drugs, efficacy and security evaluations, pharmacokinetics, and drug quality evaluations. Make breakthroughs in industrialized technologies such as innovative drug synthesis, crystallization purification, and formulation processing. Focus on developing antitumor drug varieties such as recombinant human endostatin, Lentinan for injection, Nedaplatin for injection, and paclitaxel injection. Develop edaravone injection, Sodium Tanshinone IIA sulfonate (STS), and other varieties of drugs for treating cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. Develop varieties of anti-infective drugs such as Biapenem for injection and amoxicillin.
c) Modern Chinese medicine
Strengthen secondary development of well-known, special, and high-quality traditional Chinese patent medicine such as Paishi granules and Tongsaimai tablets. Intensify the industrialized development of hospitals' existing verified prescriptions and fundamental application research on Nanjing's proprietary Chinese patent medicine.
4) Medical appliances
Focus on developing biomedical metallic materials such as metallic, alloy, and metallic composite materials, as well as interventional catheter materials and biomedical materials. Encourage enterprises to introduce international cutting-edge technology and invest in the development and manufacturing of coronary stents. Give priority to the development of high-performance X-ray tubes and other medical electronic devices.
4. Supportive Policies
(1) Suggestions on Developing Nanjing's Life Science and Technology Industry
The Global top 500 and China’s top 100 life science and technology enterprises are encouraged to establish R&D centers, public services platforms, and new production enterprises in industrial clusters. For construction projects with an investment of more than RMB 10 million, a maximum subsidy of 20% of the actual investment will be provided to support the projects.
(2) Suggestions on Building China's Health Service and Life Science Center
Encourage technology banks to provide life science and technology start-up enterprises with an intellectual property collateral loan business. For technology banks that provide these enterprises with such loans at the benchmark interest rate, give interest subsidies to the said banks.
(3) Nanjing Municipal Regulations for First Purchasing and Using New Biomedical Products
Select manufacturers of products listed in the Catalog for First Purchase and Use of New Biomedical Products and provide support for them to promote the development and manufacturing of new biomedical products.
(4) Nanjing Municipal Implementation Plan for Promoting Bio-agriculture Industry
Set up a dedicated bio-agricultural development fund to support entrepreneurship, innovation service support platforms, and government-industry-university-research cooperation in the implementation of industrial projects. Endeavor to attract foreign capital, listed companies, venture capital, and social capital to invest in the bio-agricultural industry.
5. Primary Vehicles
Nanjing Biotech and Pharmaceutical Valley (BPV)