1. Development Status
Starting in the 1980s with over 30 years' continuous development, Nanjing's energy conservation and environmental protection industry has become an indispensable and important part of Nanjing's industrial development. As one of Nanjing's seven key strategic emerging industries (SEIs) in 14 key fields, Nanjing's energy conservation and environmental protection industry achieved the main business income of RMB 101.2 billion in 2016 and became one of Nanjing's six 100-billion-level SEIs.
Currently, more than 500 enterprises in Nanjing are engaged in businesses related to energy conservation and environmental protection. They form a full-field industrial system that covers technical R&D, product and equipment manufacturing, industrial services, and other areas.
2. Development Advantages
(1) Nanjing ranks No.1 in Jiangsu province in terms of its scientific research capability for energy conservation and environmental protection. It enjoys exceptional talent advantages. Nanjing has numerous scientific research institutes such as Nanjing University, Southeast University, Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Nanjing Tech University, Jiangsu Provincial Academy of Environmental Science, Nanjing Institute of Environmental Sciences (NIES) of the Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP), and State Power Environmental Protection Research Institute. Nanjing has become well known in related fields, and has gathered a number of high-end talented people.
(2) Some key energy conservation and environmental protection technologies are leading the country, and certain products prevail in the market. Nanjing University's technology for treating highly concentrated organic wastewater by macroporous resin has been granted the National Scientific Progress and Technology Invention and National Award for Technological Invention. Low-caloric gas-steam combined cycle generation units and by-product heat and pressure power generation devices developed and manufactured by Nanjing Turbine & Electric Machinery Co., Ltd. have the largest production scale among similar products in China. The high-power variable-frequency speed control system jointly developed by Guodian Nanjing Automation Co., Ltd. and Tsinghua University is at the world's cutting-edge level.
(3) Nanjing's energy conservation and environmental protection service industry ranks No.1 in Jiangsu province and has initially formed an agglomeration effect. Nanjing's environmental protection companies and research institutes in the electric power industry play an important role in the environmental protection service field. Enterprises such as CSCEC Zhonghuan Engineering Co., Ltd., Nanjing CEC Environmental Protection Co., Ltd., State Power Environmental Protection Research Institute, and Nanjing Longyuan Environmental Co., Ltd. each realize annual business revenue of hundreds of millions yuan each. Sunpower Technology (Jiangsu) Co., Ltd. and Nanjing Jiusi High-Tech Co., Ltd. are leading backbone enterprises of the industry in Nanjing.
(4) Energy conservation and emissions reduction are conducted efficiently, and solid policy foundations such as the circular economy are provided. In recent years, Nanjing has vigorously worked at energy conservation and emissions reduction and has achieved good results. During the 12th Five-Year Plan period, Nanjing's energy consumption per RMB 10,000 of GDP decreased by 25.67%. In 2014, the Ministry of Transportation rated Nanjing as the "Regional Pilot City for Green, Recyclable, and Low-carbon Transportation Development." At the same time, Nanjing issued a series of policies and measures such as the Nanjing's 13th Five-Year Plan for Circular Economy Development to fully support and promote the related work and the development of related industries.
3. Development Goals and Priorities
(1) Focus on developing key technologies.
a) Key technologies for energy-saving electromechanical products, including key technologies in high-energy-consumption industries such as steel, petrochemical, and building materials
b) Key technologies for environmental improvements: flue gas desulphurization, denitration, and denitrification control technologies and complete sets of equipment, key technologies for using solid waste such as the utilization of desulphurized gypsum, municipal solid waste and biomass treatment, hazardous waste treatment and disposal and comprehensive utilization, complete sets of technology and equipment for reusing municipal sewage, and technologies to ensure safe drinking water
c) R&D of practical technologies such as bio-based material synthesis technology, carbon capture technology, plasma-based flue gas desulfurization and denitrification technology and equipment, phytoremediation for polluted soil, and biodegradable plastics technology d) Environmentally sound technologies, including the application of new technology in traditional industries and cleaner production technologies
(2) Focus on building industrial chains.
Key industrial chains such as venous industry (recycling of materials), waste water treatment equipment and materials, energy-saving electromechanical equipment, waste gas treatment equipment and materials, by-product heat and pressure recycling devices and equipment, energy-saving industrial boilers (furnaces), building energy saving, and high-efficiency lighting.
(3) Focus on developing energy conservation and environmental protection service industries.
Focus on developing full-process energy conservation solutions and services such as engineering consultation and design, and project contracting and construction processes. Accelerate development of environmental technology consultation and service industries, build a provincial environmental protection service industrial cluster, and establish an international environmental technology R&D base.
4. Supportive Policies (excerpt)
(1) Nanjing's 13th Five-Year Plan for Circular Economy Development
With Jiangnan and Jiangbei Environmental Protection Industrial Parks as a base, recycle municipal solid waste and actively develop the venous industry, environmental protection service industry, and renewable resource utilization industry. Build the two parks into model parks for the venous industry in the Yangtze River Delta area, renewable resource research bases, and Nanjing waste recycling and disposal bases.
Improve the urban green and low-carbon consumption level. Accelerate construction of environmental protection industrial parks and promote large-scale utilization of renewable resources. Intensify the promotion of the use of energy conservation and environmental protection technologies and equipment, promote intelligent reconstruction of energy-consuming equipment, and accelerate construction of energy source control centers for key energy consuming enterprises. Implement cleaner production reconstruction projects and focus on supporting implementation of a number of recycling projects.
(2) Nanjing Municipal Regulations on Guiding Special Funds for Development of Emerging Industries
Focus on supporting key projects and intensify financial support for:
a) Key projects that promote accelerated development of emerging industries, which primarily include key investment projects in high-end industries, key technical transformation projects in emerging industries, independent innovation capability improvement projects, model projects for promoting the application, and industrial cluster development projects
b) Key projects that promote industrial transformation and upgrade, which mainly include energy conservation and emissions reduction projects, industrial layout adjustment projects, projects specified in the "Thousand Enterprise Upgrade" plan, and small and medium-sized enterprise development projects
c) Major citywide industrial projects and work: projects for which rewards are provided instead of subsidies as specified in relevant documents issued by the Nanjing Municipal People's Government, and funds for promoting key industrial projects and other key work.
(3) Jiangsu Provincial Implementation Plan for Industrial Energy Efficiency Leading Actions
Implement an energy efficiency leader system, carry out industrial energy efficiency leading actions, and periodically release a list of high-energy-consuming product manufacturing enterprises with the lowest energy consumption (unit consumption of key energy-consuming procedures) per unit of product and such enterprises' energy efficiency indicators to set up an energy efficiency benchmark. Provide policy support for energy efficiency leaders and include energy efficiency leader indicators in energy consumption. In due course, set energy consumption standards.
5. Primary Vehicles
Nanjing Economic and Technological Development Zone
Pukou Economic Development Zone
Jiangsu Luhe Economic Development Zone
Nanjing Lishui Economic Development Zone
Jiangsu Gaochun Economic Development Zone
Jiangnan Environmental Protection Industrial Park
Jiangbei Environmental Protection Industrial Park