1. Development Status
In 2015, Nanjing achieved total tourism revenue of RMB 168.812 billion, up by 11.0% over the previous year. Nanjing received a total number of 102.34 million tourists, up by 8.0% over the previous year. The number of inbound tourists received was 588,100, up by 3.9% over the previous year, and the foreign exchange income from tourism was USD 639 million, up by 15.7% over the previous year. The number of domestic tourists visiting Nanjing was 101.7519 million, up by 8.0% over the previous year.
In 2015, Nanjing's star-rated tourist hotels achieved business revenue of RMB 3.33 billion, up by 2.46% over the previous year. Of the revenue, RMB 1.504 billion was room income, RMB 1.443 billion was food and beverage income, and RMB 317 million was other income. Nanjing's travel agencies achieved business revenue of RMB 13.54 billion, up by 20.56% over the previous year.
In 2015, Nanjing's A-class tourism scenic spots received tourists of 108.47 million, up by 2.85% over the previous year. There were 16 scenic spots with an annual reception capacity of more than one million people each and 21 scenic spots with an annual reception capacity of more than 0.5 million people each. Nanjing's A-class scenic spots achieved business revenue of RMB 1.991 billion, up by 17.65% over the previous year, of which RMB 0.562 billion was ticket revenue, up by 8.57% over the previous year.
In 2016, the city's convention and exhibition industry achieved steady growth. Statistics indicate that the city held a total of 2880 medium and large conferences and exhibition projects during the year, with a year-on-year growth of 8.3%. The total exhibition area was 4.31 million square meters, of which the above-scale exhibition area was 2.83 million square meters with a year-on-year growth of 8.1%. A total of 46 large and super-large exhibitions were held, with a year-on-year growth of 12.1%. Nanjing was honored as 2016 China's Top 10 Brand Convention & Exhibition Cities and China's Top 10 Renowned Convention & Exhibition Cities. In the 2015 Global Conference Destination City ranking list released by the International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA), Nanjing ranked No.4 among Chinese (inland) cities.
2. Development Advantages
Nanjing is a national tourism city with multiple levels of tourism. It has mountains, rivers and lakes, forests, and historical landscapes and cultural artifacts from its days as an ancient capital, yet it is also a modern city. By the end of 2015, Nanjing had a total of 567 travel agencies, of which 39 were engaged in overseas tourism. There were 95 star-rated tourist hotels, of which 20 were 5-star hotels, 23 were 4-star, 40 were three-star, and 12 were 2-star. There were 55 national tourism scenic spots, of which two were AAAAA-class scenic spots, 17 were AAAA-class, 19 were AAA-class, and 17 were AA-class. There were 12 agricultural tourism demonstration sites and 5 industrial tourism demonstration sites. There were seven national, provincial, and municipal tourist resorts, three provincial self-driving tour bases, and 42 provincial star-rated rural tourism spots (of which 25 were AAAA-class or above). Nanjing is a renowned Chinese convention and exhibition city and continues to be one of China's Top 10 Influential Convention & Exhibition Cities.
3. Development Goals and Priorities
During the 13th Five-Year Plan period, the general goal of Nanjing's tourism industry is to give full play the tourism industry's role as a comprehensive industry and a strategic pillar industry of the national economy, further improve the quality and efficiency of the tourism industry in accordance with the strategic positioning of "building an overall prosperous society at a high level and making six significant improvements", and build Nanjing into China's first-class cultural and recreational tourist resort, a national model city for all-for-one tourism, and an internationally important tourism destination.
Economic goal: By 2020, the total number of domestic and foreign tourists that Nanjing will receive will exceed 150 million people, with an average annual growth of over 8%. The total tourism revenue will exceed RMB 300 billion, with an average annual growth of over 13%. The added value of the tourism industry will account for more than 8.5% of the GDP, and the comprehensive contribution made by the tourism industry will account for over 15% of the GDP.
Social goals: By 2020, the tourism industry will directly add 60,000 jobs and indirectly add about 300,000 jobs. The tourism industry will play its role in benefiting people's lives, further improving Nanjing's livability and people's quality of life. It will drive the integration of urban and rural tourism, and promote social harmony and progress.
Nanjing's convention and exhibition industry goals are: actively develop market entities for the convention and exhibition industry, support and encourage a number of competitive convention and exhibition companies to plan and undertake more national and international large-scale exhibitions and activities, and develop convention and exhibition brands with independent intellectual property rights.
4. Supportive Policies
In the Opinions of Nanjing Municipal People's Government on Accelerating Development of the Tourism Industry, three supportive policies are provided to encourage development of the tourism industry:
(1) Encourage and guide private capital to invest in the tourism industry and allow private enterprises to conduct loan business with operational rights of scenic spots and ticket incomes as collateral.
(2) Support and encourage tourism enterprises to grow and become stronger. Actively encourage international brand hotels to settle in Nanjing and reward internationally renowned brand hotels that meet requirements in accordance with relevant regulations. The Nanjing Municipal Commission of Tourism Development will reward state-certified green hotels, scenic spots, and travel agencies according to appraisal criteria and incentive measures.
(3) Preferentially support land for constructing tourism projects. Enterprises that use wasteland, barren slopes, abandoned mines, and unused land to develop featured tourism projects will enjoy preferential policies of the "Green Nanjing" construction project.
The Nanjing Municipal Regulations on Special Funds for Developing the Convention & Exhibition Industry state that financial support is provided for the following convention and exhibition projects:
(1) For exhibition projects that cover an area of 6,000 square meters or more and have enjoyed municipal exhibition subsidies for less than three years, such projects will be provided with a subsidy of 30% of the actual venue rent, to a maximum of RMB one million.
(2) For exhibition projects that are held in Nanjing, have enjoyed municipal exhibition subsidies for three years, and cover an area 10% or more larger than that of the previous exhibition, such projects will be provided with a subsidy of 50% of the actual venue rent, to a maximum of RMB one million.
(3) For international conferences held in Nanjing and approved by the Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China (MOFCOM) and the China Chamber of International Commerce (CCOIC) under the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT), appropriate subsidies are provided if such conferences meet relevant requirements.
(4) For exhibition projects certified by the Union of International Fairs (UFI), a one-time subsidy of RMB 200,000 will be given.
5. Primary Vehicles
According to the Nanjing's 13th Five-Year Plan for Developing the Tourism Industry, Nanjing will focus on building 18 tourism clusters, including Purple Mountain-Xuanwu Lake Eco-culture Tourism Demonstration Zone, RV parks, Buddhist culture tourism attractions, theme parks, rural tourism resorts, and featured countryside areas.
Primary vehicles for developing the convention and exhibition industry include Nanjing International Expo Center, Nanjing International Exhibition Center, and Nanjing Airport Convention and Exhibition Town.